November 13, 2015
Dear Westwood Members,
On Tuesday, November 10 your Board unanimously, and very deliberately, adopted two measures: First, we adopted the (renamed) Westwood 2020Strategic Renovation Plan (WW2020) in its entirety, as the near- and medium-term roadmap for upgrading the Club’s facilities. The full scope of, and background/rationale for, WW2020 can be found at westwood2020.com. Secondly, we committed (financially) to execute Phase 1 of WW2020, as was discussed at the most recent Town Hall (handout in the President’s Blog on westwood2020.com).
Phase 1 will cost roughly $700,000, and will accomplish three key objectives.
- First, we will build restrooms adjacent to the pool bar. The pool bar has seen tremendous activity and enthusiasm since its renovation several years ago, which has brought great focus to the age-old member desire for convenient restrooms.
- Secondly, we will retrofit LED lighting to outdoor courts 3-6, and install new LED lighting to courts 7-10. This will address another age-old member frustration relating to the quality of our outdoor lighting, and allow us to hold nighttime USTA league matches, further solidifying our position as the #1 tennis Club in Central Virginia.
- Thirdly, we will fully round out our youth program facilities. We will:
- Modernize our youth room with new technology, entertainment options, games and furnishings.
- Renovate the squash/racquetball ground floor & mezzanine areas. The mezzanine will have retractable paneling which will enclose the viewing rails, allowing the space to be used for youth & banquet events without interfering with squash & racquetball play. This newly created venue would have seen high utilization this past summer from our (sold out) youth programs, and this fall from our (sold out) banquet calendar. Aesthetically, it will also address an area of the Club much in need of improvement.
- Roughly double the footprint of our kids’ club, addressing an immediate capacity issue and providing space for many years to come. There will be economic efficiencies here, as we will be able to separate the 0-4yr olds from the 5-8yr olds, allowing us to optimize staff resources, actually improve our compliance with local child supervision regulations, and provide a better member experience.
We will commence these projects & associated fundraising January 1, 2016. The pace & sequence of construction will be somewhat dependent on member payment elections. The Club’s initiation fee schedule will simultaneously be adjusted to incorporate the required incremental member investment, thereby treating prospective members equitably with existing members. This Board has elected to make Phase 1 a fully member-funded initiative. A second mailing with the details of the individual financial commitment, along with payment options, will soon follow this letter. Future Boards will determine the timing & funding of future phases. I can say the Board has received two clear messages in the past month: 1) members expect Westwood to move forward with the other phases of 2020 as soon as possible, and 2) the pool needs to be next.
With last night’s vote we should quickly have lots of content for WW2020, so please stay tuned to the blog. Also, don’t forget our annual meeting is next Thursday, November 19th at 6 p.m. The Board & GM will be present to address questions regarding any aspect of the Club. It has been my privilege to serve as your president, but I will be rotating off in January, and we need smart, engaged members to lead this Club. So please come, and get involved.
Westwood Club President